WHAT TO SEE IN AEGINA
The Archaeological Museum of Aegina has ancient remains and relics. It was founded in 1828 by Ioannis Kapodistrias. In the museum, there are different vessels, pottery, ceramics, alabasters, statuettes, inscriptions, coins, weapons and copper vessels. In the lobby of the museum, there is a representation of the first greek residence, called "the white house". It had 2 floors and a loundry that was made of copper and embossed tombs from the cemetary of Rineias. The museum consists of 3 rooms in which are all the exhibits.
Markello's tower was built around 1800 by Spiridona Markello who was a member of Parliament in Aegina. The first greek government from 1816-1828 was housed at Markello's tower along with Greek fund organization for a certain period of time. Today, at Markello's tower, is the Spiritual center of the Municipality of Aegina and the center of social speculation called "Spiros Alexiou".
The Cathedral was also used as a parliament house in 1827 and in 1828 for the first greek goverment. In the Cathedral, there are many historic relics, a marple icon screen, remarkable murals and icons.
In 1830, after a donation made by a Swiss banker called Eunardios, the Eunardios School of Teaching was built next to the Cathedral which is a neoclassic building. Apart from the central part, the building has 2 rooms. In one room was the central school for students who continued their studies. In the other room were three-month training courses for teachers.
The Government House is located near the Cathedral, in the center of the city. It's a very important building for modern greek history. In this building was the first government of Greece. It was Ioannis Kapodistria's house. It's a two-storey, stony building with a wooden roof. On the first floor, the first room was the office, opposite the secretary's office and on the right was the record office room. Today, on this floor, is the historic record office room of Aegina.
Next to the Government House, is another stony building which today is the Municipal Library of Aegina. In the southeast of the city, is the Orphanage which was built by Ioannis Kapodistrias in a building block which was offered by the Dimogerontia of Aegina. It was used for shelter and as a school for the orphans. The orphanage had laboratories where the children learned skills. So, there were printing-houses, dressmaking, shoemaking and bookbinding. The church of Sotiras and the National Library were built in the orphanage. In this building up to 1828, was the first archaeological museum, the first National Printing house, the lithographic, the library and the first greek school of Music.
The Historic Museum of Aegina is in Spirou Rodi street. On the groundfloor, there is a place for exhibitions which is also used as the spiritual Center. On the first floor there are many historic and folklore exhibits. Theatrical plays are often performed in the garden of the museum.
Apart from the historic Museum in Aegina there is also the Chris Kapralo's Museum which is in the northwest part of the island about 3 kilometers from the town. In the museum there are many exhibits like paintings, sculptures, ceramics and works of forged lead and copper.